Thursday 24 February 2011

My Book List: Life-Changers

The Harry Potter Books by J. K. Rowling

These books punctuated my young life in a profound way. My mother read the first, The Philosopher's Stone, to my brothers and I the year before she died. The week after my father died, I read The Order of the Phoenix. We grew up together, or - I should say - simultaneously. Harry is my fictional hero. He's damaged, and brave. Put simply: he kicks ass.

The History Boys by Alan Bennett

I saw The History Boys when I was in my final year of school, and it spoke straight to what I felt at the time. Bennett is a stunning writer, of course.

The Tempest by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare's final play, and his most beautiful writing.

The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

Yes, third play in a row. I love reading plays. They're more lyrical than fiction, and Dr Faustus is filled with the most incredible poetry.

The Love Letters of Great Men by Ursula Doyle

I am a cynic at heart, but this collection of love letters shows the many facets of love - from violent desperation to gentle reverence to Napoleon's hilarious letters to Josephine:

"I arrive in Milan, I rush to your apartment, I have left everything to see you, to press you in my arms... You were not there; you run to towns where there are festivities; you leave me when I arrive, you do not care any more for your dear Napoleon"

A Red Cherry on a White-tiled Floor: Selected Poems by Maram Al-Massri

This was a recommendation from one of my dearest friends and is fascinating on so many levels. An amazing collection.

Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism by Natasha Walter

This is by no means a flawless book. I certainly take issue with some of Walter's observations, but it is also an accurate and profoundly disturbing look at feminism today, the battles that we are still fighting and raises vital questions about what is next for the feminist movement. Recommended reading for any woman engaged in these issues.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

A dystopian novel for the 21st century. Atwood is perhaps my favourite contemporary writer - so powerful, so horrifying, so compelling. This will make you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment