Friday 18 February 2011

Alice’s Book List, Part I: Books for Growing Up

In no particular order, these are my favourite books (excluding the ones I have forgotten, of course!) They are quite a varied mix and set out in no particular order, but each had been an important moment of my life as I closed the finished book shut and went, “That was brilliant!”


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Controversially, I picked the last one. Really, you should be reading the whole seven books, no excuses, and maybe choosing the last as my favourite will entice you to read them all without stopping at BBC Top 100’s choice (Goblet of Fire, Book 4). J.K. is a genius, not because of the quality of her writing, but because her imagination and brain-to-paper function is truly wonderful. Read and laugh and cry and dream of Hogwarts.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruíz Zafón

I keep singing this book’s praises to anyone who asks me to recommend them a book. Originally in Spanish, it is simply a great story. Set in Barcelona’s Gothic quarter, a little boy is taken by his father to the Library of Forgotten Books, where books choose their readers. However, it seems not all books are quite as forgotten as the library would lead you to believe. Magical, but without magic.

Assassin’s Apprentice (Book 1 of The Farseer Trilogy) by Robin Hobb

Another fantasy novel. I don’t know what I would have done without the escape that reading fantasy novels played in my life as a way of making me happy. It took much deliberation to choose Assassin’s Apprentice (a tie with The Ship of Magic, Book 1 of following trilogy, The Liveship Traders) but it is not every day that a book for teenagers (the older end) actually features the most incredible, human, difficult, troubled, not particularly likeable but brilliant hero: Fitz. These series are all very entrenched in the fantasy genre so don’t be surprised, but trust me, you will be quickly addicted. Besides, we don’t read enough stories nowadays.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Aside from featuring the best sex scene ever (the first that highly educated me in such matters!), it is simply an incredible novel. People always say how great it is, but this time, I assure you it is worth the hype. Faulks is one of my favourite authors, and I thoroughly recommend many of his other books. The writing and the story combine to form an incredible novel which cannot but feature on this list.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

This is a short one, but I have yet to read anything quite so Gothic and creepy. All I can say is don’t trust anyone at Bly: not your lovely narrators and not her angelic wards. This is a novella that requires your mind switched on.

What’s Bred in the Bone (Book 2 of The Cornish Trilogy) by Robertson Davies

I’m not sure why Robertson Davies isn’t as famous on this side of the ocean as he is in his native Canada – he’s an excellent author. All his novels are complete stories with fully-formed characters – but my favourite part? He’s a cultural writer, and it’s so rare to read about the lesser known arts of magic (performing illusionists and magicians) or even opera writing. What’s Bred in the Bone contains the most linear story line, but Francis Cornish was truly a great man and his passion for art – more importantly how he exploits his artist gift – makes for an excellent, easy-to-read, easy-to-understand (but without any of Dan Brown’s spoonfeeding) book.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

This is also a famous book, and once again, with reason. I assume the final plot twist is the cause of the popularity. Du Maurier’s story wonderfully thought out and her soft, poetic and feminine writing style is an excellent medium for the narrator’s personality. Moreover, I want to live at Manderley.

Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Brontë

You’ve skimmed down and I know! I haven’t put any Jane Austen. I’ve thought about it, and truthfully Pride and Prejudice has simply scraped 11th place to make way forWuthering Heights. Heathcliff and Cathy, the window scene and the Yorkshire moors and the wind and the rain – what an incredible, memorable love story and one which, in my opinion, rivals the classic Pride and Prejudice.

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

All who know me know I like this (weird) book. It is the first time I was conscious of my sense of smell while reading a book. Even if you have or haven’t seen the film, Süskind’s book is very well written, very stylistically and not difficult to read, either. Grenouille, its hero, is a gifted man, but it is what he does with his gift (of smell) that awes, shocks and lures.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

A detective novel! I love Miss Marple, Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Rebus and Co. – any detective novel really. Although this one isn’t at all your classic detective-investigation set out, Eco’s novel fulfils all virtues of the investigative novel. Solving deaths in a monastery has never been so enthralling.

I hope you enjoy these, and I’m sure I will think of more soon enough – perhaps a more… highbrow list next?

No comments:

Post a Comment