Wednesday 16 February 2011

Georgia's Book List

Our first Book List comes from Georgia, certainly one of the most cultured (and most wonderful) people I've ever met. She is about the graduate with a History of Art degree, but her selections show a penchant for the classic and the poetical. A GREAT start to The Book List Project!

Alias Grace by
Margaret Atwood
I know, I know school text but its Atwood and I am an addict of her writing. I cannot stop myself from buying peonies when I see them now...my poor bank account be damned!

The two most recent books I have read which I have loved are:
Nausea by
Jean Paul Sartre
Totally pretentious I know but I read this recently and just loved it. Existentialist heaven.
The Drowned and the Saved - Primo Levi: I think it is so important to understand the suffering and sheer terrifying irrationality of the Holocaust in order to understand the world we live in today and attempt to never repeat...though I fear sometimes that it is waiting to happen.

Save Me The Waltz by
Zelda Fitzgerald
Underrated in comparison to her husband. It made me want to run to the deep south and drawl my vowels like a southern belle.

A Collection of Poetry by Stevie Smith
Funny yet dark her poetry is a staple to my bedside. Thank you Ms. Crawford [our A Level English teacher] for a love of poetry!

Little Women by
Louisa M Alcott
Defined my childhood - also: Anne of Greengables made me want to have red hair and be feisty. sadly of which neither of which have come true. My friend Flicka - my brief horse phase. But tugged my heart strings.

The Time Traveler's Wife by
Audrey Niffenegger
The movie was terrible but the book amazing. The romantic in my melted and I am still waiting for my own time traveller to appear.

Shantaram by
Gregory David Roberts
AMAZING! I couldn't put it down and have read it over and over again dreaming of India. One day I will get there.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Don't say it I know. Walking teenage agnst cliche. I have to say though when I was feeling horrendous during my gap year it made me feel less alone in the world and it might seem odd but it made me laugh.

Emma and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Will always be my favourite Austens.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
My favourite Bronte.

Possession by A. S. Byatt
Beautifully written and if your an english lit student i think you would love.

The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
I don't need to explain this. G.E.N.I.U.S although I will never forgive the world for not sending me an owl accetance letter for Hogwarts on the my 11th birthday...it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment